qUotes for the week

Try to use these wherever possible and let me know how it works for you...

"Say what now..."











Thursday, February 14, 2008

a PErfeCt StRangER

Yesterday, I was waiting for a bus (that’s been my life story lately)...

To ease the fear of standing alone, I stood next to an older woman who was also waiting for the bus. I thought of all the possibilities of standing with this woman:

1) If a mugger comes, she can take him while I run
2) I wouldn’t be mistaken for a prostitute waiting on my next client
3) Her multi-colored fanny pack matched my scarf quite nicely

So... as I stood next to this woman, we began having a conversation about how buses aren’t very reliable:

J: How long have you been waiting here?
Ms. G: Not long really, I don’t know what’s wrong with this system, its like they come whenever they want, I have so many stories to tell about these buses
J: Oh you should read my blog.
Ms. G: A what
J: Oh never mind
Ms. G: I’m just tryna get to work; I really don’t want to be late. I have to send my son some money because he's locked up...


Ms. G continued to tell her whole life story... literally. I did not even get a word in. She explained her son's entire criminal case, her grand kids, her cell phone company, her job, etc. The most I said was "unhuh" or "wow, really". I was a little annoyed at first but then I noticed, there was a certain passion in her voice... Almost like she's been waiting to tell somebody how she felt for the past few months...

After about 20 minutes of waiting, the bus came...

Ms. G: Well here it is... It was nice talking to you, what’s your name?
J: J
Ms. G: thank you for listening to me J... tell your mother, she's very lucky, bye sweet heart...


Sometimes, even when it seems strange and uncommon... some people just want you to listen... who knows... even though I said nothing, I might have had an amazing impact on a perfect strangers life. true story!

No comments: